Tuesday, January 20

Project Mary Sue You and Rebirth of the Blog

I've been a blogger for years, albeit an inconsistent one. My husband pointed out to me one day that when I do blog, regardless of the subject matter, I seem to be happier and more stable, and he's right. Reporting on, and by extension having to be aware of and accountable for my time and activities seems to help me make more deliberate decisions about what I do *and* I pay more attention while I'm doing it, rather than succumbing to the "staring off into space how did it get to be 10 PM already what?" phenomenon.

Well, most of the time. (A little bit of space-cadet is inevitable, right?)

When I was thinking through whether or not to start blogging again, I took a long hard look at where I wanted my blog to go.  Most online resources weren't ultimately helpful, because over and over what I found were sites explaining how to manage, promote, and make money from your blog.  Which is totally valid, don't get me wrong, but it wasn't what I wanted to be doing.

What did I want to be doing?

Well, good question.  I'm still not sure I know the answer to it.  That means this incarnation of my life online may not have a clear format or direction, at least not at first.  It means I may, by turns, talk about utterly mundane minutiae of daily life, or about knitting, or about fandom, or cooking or religion.  Maybe all of that at once (I like to multi-task, you know).  Or maybe I'll just post pictures (see also: the Instagram feed below).

Where all of the above comes together is the Very Experimental Mary Sue You project that the Hive Mind and I are trying out.

To sum up:

What You Will (Probably) Find Here:

- Knitting (occasionally crocheting or other needle crafts, but mostly knitting.)

- Attempts at grain-free baking

- Attempts at (pseudo) locavore and “primal” cooking (but can we not call it that? My inner anthropologist twitches when we call it that)

- The Cult of the Fitbit (but no running)

- Fandom musings (included, but not limited to: Avengers, Leverage, Jane the Virgin, White Collar, Criminal Minds, Reign, Constantine, Harry Potter, X-Men, etc., etc., etc. Really, a lot of the things. I have a lot of fandoms, okay?)

- Attempts at that amorphous state called "being an adult"

- Heretical thoughts about at least three religions. Maybe more.

- Did I mention knitting and fandom? Because that's a thing.

- Fanfiction (I write it and read it)

- Shiva Nata

- Art (sketching, digital art, paper crafts such as quilling and origami, model painting, and other random things I decide to try out. Oh, and in the springtime? Pysanka.)

- Pictures of food. And yarn. And artwork. And possibly my house.

- Things I like.

What You Will (Probably) Not Find Here:

- Preachy "you must eat/do or not eat/not do this or that thing for whatever reason" messages.  I'm not an expert of much of anything, and I'm certainly not a scientist or medical doctor or other health practitioner.  I have opinions.  I have things that work for me.  They may or may not work for you, and that's okay.

- Conventional ideas about health and wellness

- Conventional ideas about religion

- Fandom wank. I am not ruling out speaking plainly about what I think about a fandom I love, but first and foremost, I watch/read/think about fandoms because I like them. And I like to focus most of the things that I like about them, not what's wrong with them.

- DC (as a fandom). I'm a loyal Marvel girl. (There may be exceptions made for seasons 1 and 2 of Arrow.)

-Things I don’t like.


So that's that.  Welcome, come in, pull up a chair or a cushion or curl up in the sunny corner of the couch and enjoy!

No comments: